Exploratory Online Symposium "Re-Inventing Project Management in Research"
World-class research meets world-class project management
Why a course on project management for researchers?
Although research is almost exclusively organized in form of projects, researchers are often only familiar with the traditional form of plan-based project organization. However, current examples of disruptive research results prove that innovation processes can be significantly accelerated with agile methods.
After last year's successful event at Helmholtz Center Munich with 55 researchers and scientists as participants, the symposium will take place as an online event in 2021. This year we have again 10 top-class speakers. The participants will learn in 5 modules about modern project management (Design Thinking, Project Canvas, Lean Startup, Scrum, Kanban, Stakeholder Management) in the context of research projects, how to apply them to their own projects and reflect on their experience.
- Inspire scientists and researchers to apply modern project management methods
- Present methods with experience reports on their use in research
- Guiding application of methods during group work with other scientists
- Apply modern project management methods to your own research projects.
Postdocs, principal investigators, junior professors, researchers and scientists who want to gain an insight into modern project management methods and their application in research projects
- Gain experience with agile management methods
- Learn how to apply these methods in your own research projects and how to react to challenges at any moment of the project's life cycle
- Run your projects more efficiently
- Share your experience with other researchers
- 04.05.2021, 2 pm: Start Event
- 11.05.2021, 2 pm: Design Thinking
- 18.05.2021, 2 pm: Project Canvas
- 01.06.2021, 2 pm: Lean Startup
- 08.06.2021, 2 pm: Scrum
- 15.06.2021, 2 pm: Kanban
- 22.06.2021, 2 pm: Closing Event
Duration: 2 – 3 h for each session
Your map to explore modern project management during the workshop:
- Research Boost by Modern Management: Prof. Dr. Holger Timinger, HS Landshut
- Become agile? Just be: Dr. Sabine Sickinger, Fraunhofer-Institut für Kognitive Systeme IKS
- Design Thinking: Dr. Wolfgang Glitscher, TU Berlin; Katrin Reschwamm, EU GrantsAccess
- Project Canvas: Dr. Sandra Dierig, ifok GmbH; Felix Horch, Fraunhofer-Institut
- Lean Startup: Dr. Thorsten Lambertus, Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft; Prof. Dr. Harald Wehnes, Universität Würzburg
- Scrum: Ellen Hermens, AUSY Technologies Germany AG; Bettina Mueller, RISE Research Institutes of Sweden
- Kanban: Prof. Dr. Holger Timinger, HS Landshut; Martina Königbauer, Universität Würzburg
- Stakeholder Management in Research: Dr. Luisa Cristini, Alfred Wegener Institute
- Short impulse lectures for introducing each method
- Workshops in small groups with practical exercises for each method
- Open discussions to reflect on your own views and experiences
All lectures and exercises will be held in English.
€ 600 (incl. 7% VAT)
€ 450 (incl. 7% VAT) for members of GPM, spm and Helmholtz Centers
Free cancellation is possible up to May 3rd, 2021.
Thereafter, the full participation fee is payable.
Prof. Dr. Harald Wehnes, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Uwe Haass, Roboconsult
Dr. Marcel Scheideler, Helmholtz Center Munich
Prof. Dr. Harald Wehnes, JMU Würzburg (chair)
Participants’ feedback 2020
“I enjoyed the fact that we got the chance to explore multiple PM methods, and spent an equal amount of time exploring them”.
“I liked best discussions on applications of methods with other scientists and coaches, who have experiences with PM in research.”
“I liked the interactive parts the best. Learning by doing is the best method.”
“Networking possibilities of asking questions and discussion.”
“Nice atmosphere, good support by coaches.”